Job Description and Specification
Role: Finance and Centre Administrator (FCA)
Based: 1 Creek Road, Deptford, London.
Responsible to: Day Centre Manager (DCM)
Terms: 9am – 5pm, Monday to Thursday (Full-time, 30 hours per week)
The Deptford Methodist Mission, Disabled People’s Contact, known as the Deptford Mission (DM) is a registered charity and a company limited by guarantee. Our aim is to reduce isolation and improve the quality of life for elderly, disabled residents of Lewisham and Greenwich. The Day Centre is open every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at the Deptford Mission. We have a charity shop which raises significant funds to support the work of the charity.
Summary of position
We are looking for a detail-oriented financial administrator to optimize our financial management procedures. The role contributes to the financial planning, the preparing financial reports, and implementing best practices in financial administration.
The FCA will provide a high quality service in accordance with policies and procedures of the DM. They will work with our small, friendly team providing all areas of cash management and control.
The FCA will report to the monthly management board and attend director meetings as required.
Hours of working are 9am – 5pm (including half hour lunch break) Monday to Thursday.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Day Centre Manager, you will be responsible for all aspects of the volunteers at the Deptford Mission as noted below;
- Reconciling cash and credit card takings for the shop and Centre and ensuring weekly banking
- Maintaining petty cash and shop floats
- Processing payments, invoices, income and receipts and entering data into accounting software (Xero) or databases
- Preparing monthly/quarterly financial statements for review at a Managers meeting
- Producing invoices for services of the Day Centre and ensuring timely receipt
- Preparing and maintaining employee monthly payroll
- Processing of Gift Aid claims
- Recording one off donations and sending thank you letters
- Processing approved expense claims
- Preparation of the annual statements for external review
- Assisting with the preparation of financial information required for funding applications
- Helping the Day Centre Manager (DCM) with administrative duties which will include;
- Managing the regulations re the Centre’s buses
- Purchasing office supplies and maintaining office equipment
- Reviewing and updating office policies and procedures to enhance efficiency
- Collaborating with the DCM regarding booking training courses
- Filing statutory filings and maintaining personnel records
- Assist with the recording of Members, volunteers and student’s attendance records and record all staff holidays and absences
- Ensuring the timely renewal of relevant Insurances for the business
Ad Hoc support of the Day Centre
Occasionally you might be required to assist with various roles with the Day Centre when staff are not available. This may include, assisting with the collection of the members as a passenger assistant on the buses or helping provide support on outings
|AAT level 4 or equivalent
|Well developed verbal and written communication skills
|Good numeracy skills
|Background in bookkeeping roles
|Preparation and administration of payroll
|Ability to analyse and identify potential solutions
|Preparing and completing financial statements
|The ability to work with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
|Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
|Good working knowledge of Xero or similar
|Understanding of the application of Sharepoint
|Good working knowledge of Excel and Word
|Good written and verbal communicational skills
|Ability to prepare reports for management
|Good interpersonal skills
|Good working knowledge of Microsoft 365
|Ability to process and record financial transactions
|Full driving licence
|Ability to cope under pressure, maintaining a steady and professional environment for the members
|Knowledge and understanding of the charity sector
|Ability to work under pressure and manage conflicting priorities
|Understanding of bookkeeping principles
To ensure success as a financial administrator, you should possess extensive knowledge of accounting principles and experience in a similar role. A top-notch financial administrator will be someone whose expertise translates into optimized financial processes and compliance with industry regulations.