Job Description and Specification
Role: Volunteer Coordinator
Based: 1 Creek Road, Deptford, London.
Responsible to: Day Centre Manager
Terms: 9am – 5pm, full-time, 37.5 hours per week
Salary: £22,000-£25,000 depending on experience
The Deptford Methodist Church, Disabled People’s Contact is a registered charity and a company limited by guarantee. Our aim is to reduce isolation and improve the quality of life for elderly and elderly / disabled residents of Lewisham and Greenwich. In order to achieve this, we provide a day centre service on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at the Deptford Mission, DM. Funding for the charity comes from a number of sources one being ‘The Well’ our charity shop.
Summary of position
The position of Volunteer Coordinator involves assisting the Day Centre Manager to recruit volunteers needed to assist with the operation of the day centre as well as the shop and the transport of the charity. The role includes maintaining effective working relationships with the duty manager, colleagues, while supervising the volunteers. It will also involve working with local community contacts in order to foster a productive and positive community atmosphere.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Day Centre Manager, you will be responsible for all aspects of the volunteers at the Deptford Mission as noted below;
Induction of all Volunteers
- Identifying with management the requirements for volunteers
- Identifying ways to recruit the required volunteers
- Ensure that all aspects of the recruitment process are followed
- To undertake the interviews and induction of volunteers
- To ensure all relevant documentation, references, disclosures etc are completed and recorded
- Ensure all volunteers know of and understand their rights whilst working with us
Volunteer management and training
- To liaise with the Day Centre Manager to maintain policies and procedures manual/folder for volunteers.
- Effectively train and develop all volunteers in accordance with our policies and procedures.
- In conjunction with the Duty shop managers, coordinate and manage the work of the shop volunteers and create the weekly volunteer rota.
- In conjunction with the Day Centre manager, coordinate and manage the work of the centre and transport volunteers
- Maintain and keep up to date the records, manual and computerised, regarding our volunteers
- Endure all volunteers are aware of their expected roles and times
Care and welfare of volunteers
It is our policy to seek to provide volunteers, where desired, with new ways to explore their own personal needs and advancement. Many volunteers in our experience have past or ongoing medical issues. Our policy is to help folk find a secure place in which to explore their potential and even to move onto paid employment in the wider community.
The volunteer coordinator will have regular meetings, (every 3 or 6 months) with those whom we are supporting in this way and assist with meeting the agreed goals while keeping all relevant documentation.
- To be responsible for establishing and maintaining links with other voluntary organisations and schools in the area
- Attending open days locally to promote volunteer recruitment at the DM
- We offer work experience to schools and colleges in Lewisham and Greenwich which will require manging and planning which the possibility of visits to the schools etc.
- To promote the Day Centre as and when opportunities arrive
Operational Security and Health and Safety
- Ensuring that the volunteers are aware of all aspects a security and Health and safety regarding their roles and the operation of the premises
- Reporting any breaches or incidents regarding health and safety promptly to the Day centre Manager
- Full training will be given in all aspects of the DM operation and policies relating to volunteers.
- You will ensure all volunteers have the required training to carry out their given role(s) at the centre
- Organising and attending training sessions elsewhere will be required. These may include refresher courses on Health and safety, Manual Handling, Equalities and Diversity, Dementia Awareness, Mental Health Awareness. One to one training may need to be organised or given to volunteers in order for them to achieve their agreed goals.
Day Centre Support Duties
- To be prepared to work in another area of Disabled People’s Contact, such as in the day centre, if and when required to cover staff shortages.
- To perform the fire alarm testing as required.
This is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities and the post holder will be expected to undertake other duties as requested by the Day Centre Manager
|Qualifications||Health and Social Care NVQ Level 2||Desirable|
|Health and Social Care NVQ Level 3||Desirable|
|Well developed verbal and written communication skills||Essential|
|Good numeracy skills||Essential|
|Experience||Experience working or volunteering in a caring/support role|
for elderly and/or disabled people, or vulnerable adults
|Ability to analyse and identify potential solutions||Essential|
|Knowledge of/and working in the volunteering sector||Desirable|
|The ability to work with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail||Essential|
|Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team||Essential|
|Skills||Good working knowledge of Microsoft 365||Essential|
|Understanding of the application of Sharepoint||Desirable|
|Good working knowledge of Excel and Word||Essential|
|Good written and verbal communicational skills||Essential|
|Pleasant and professional telephone manner||Essential|
|Good interpersonal skills||Essential|
|Good customer service skills||Essential|
|Ability to process and record financial transactions||Essential|
|Full driving licence||Desirable|
|Ability to cope under pressure, maintaining a steady and professional environment for the members||Essential|
|Ability to minute meetings and record outcomes||Desirable|
|Knowledge||Knowledge and understanding of various health conditions, e.g. diabetes, epilepsy, arthritis, and how they may affect people with these conditions||Desirable|
|Knowledge of Human Resources practice||Desirable|
|Knowledge and understanding of the charity sector||Desirable|
|Ability to work under pressure and manage conflicting priorities||Essential|